Postby moonfruit » Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:51 am

Did anyone else read this?

My avatar
aimeet
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Re: Boy In The Striped PJ's

Postby aimeet » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:47 am

I have read it but not for the book club, what did you think? I had a very extreme hormonal reaction to this book. :cry:

My avatar
ladybird
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby ladybird » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:50 am

I've seen the film, but not read the book so not sure how they compare.

My avatar
Mareth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Mareth » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:54 am

I read it. It was considerably shorter than I had expected.

I had previously read that it was a very overrated book, and annoying because the first person in the story is very arrogant. I didn't find it that way at all. I didn't think the story teller was arrogant, I just thought that's how boys that age think, everything is about them, prime ego development etc.

It did take me a while to realise just who the boy in the striped pyjamas was.

My avatar
aimeet
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby aimeet » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:03 pm

Geordie_Girl wrote:
I had previously read that it was a very overrated book, and annoying because the first person in the story is very arrogant. I didn't find it that way at all. I didn't think the story teller was arrogant, I just thought that's how boys that age think, everything is about them, prime ego development etc.

I thought it was very cleverly written and that it souded like a little boy's voice. I have to addmit that I guessed the ending before it happened, maybe that is because of my job though, as an English teacher you learn to read all the little clues that writers use. So sadly for me the ending of the book, although horrificly sad, did not surprise me. I must admit to sitting at the bottom of the stairs and sobbing, full on heaving sobs! For about 20 mins, I was 3 months preggo at the time though! Poor hubby didn't know what to do with me.

I recently watched the film, yet again hormaonally challenged! and thought it compared fairly well to the book, although the boy in the striped pyjamas didn't figure in the film as much as the book, which took away from some of the impact of the ending.
Overall I really loved the book and would reccommend it to parents as a good way to approach teaching their kids about the holocaust. I would love to teach this at school but not sure if year 7 are up to it?

My avatar
Mareth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Mareth » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:07 pm

aimeet wrote:
Geordie_Girl wrote:

I thought it was very cleverly written and that it souded like a little boy's voice. I have to addmit that I guessed the ending before it happened, maybe that is because of my job though, as an English teacher you learn to read all the little clues that writers use.

Yeah, as soon as the two boys started discussing visiting 'the other side', I realised what was going to happen and was thinking :x Don't do it!

I didn't pick up any clues before that point though, not sure if there were any and I just missed them.

My avatar
ladybird
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby ladybird » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:24 pm

aimeet wrote:
Geordie_Girl wrote:
Overall I really loved the book and would reccommend it to parents as a good way to approach teaching their kids about the holocaust. I would love to teach this at school but not sure if year 7 are up to it?

My husband (Jewish) was asked to read out a prayer at the local Holocaust memorial ceremony and as a result we discussed what we would tell our boys about it all (8, 6 and 4). We decided it was a little too much to go into fully just yet, more for the younger two as they would all talk about it amongst themselves. Nayan is aware, has read books from the library, but Tallin is very sensitive and Ocean has just gone/is going through a very long (and normal) stage of questioning and being a little scared of the whole concept of dying, losing people, etc. Personally I think 7 is a little young, but I guess it does depend a lot on the individuals. I wonder if it's one of the reasons why WWII is covered later in the NC?

My avatar
aimeet
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby aimeet » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:35 pm

ladybird wrote:
aimeet wrote:
Geordie_Girl wrote:

My husband (Jewish) was asked to read out a prayer at the local Holocaust memorial ceremony and as a result we discussed what we would tell our boys about it all (8, 6 and 4). We decided it was a little too much to go into fully just yet, more for the younger two as they would all talk about it amongst themselves. Nayan is aware, has read books from the library, but Tallin is very sensitive and Ocean has just gone/is going through a very long (and normal) stage of questioning and being a little scared of the whole concept of dying, losing people, etc. Personally I think 7 is a little young, but I guess it does depend a lot on the individuals. I wonder if it's one of the reasons why WWII is covered later in the NC?

I know a frind of mine who has just read it with hers two kids, 10 and 8 I think, she said that they were upset by it but felt that they were going to learn about it anyway and didn't go into full details about the holocaust and sort of simplified it for them.
Some year 7, who are 11-12 years old, I teach now are very mature and already reading Austin and Bronte (!) but some haven't got beyond simpson comics so I suppose it would be a question of whether the class was ready for it, not to mention that so many have now seen the film! That is one of the problems when a good book gets turned into a film, it takes the joy out of reading it iykwim.

My avatar
ladybird
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby ladybird » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:42 pm

Very true! My lot are desperate to see LOTR! I've told them they need to read it first. Nayan is having a good go, but his reading is way above his age. It doesn't mean the subject matter is suitable though (a problem we had at school, I had several books sent back unread as I wasn't happy with subject matter for his age - he was reading from shelves meant for much older children). Dh and I watched The Boy In The Striped PJs, but no way I'd be happy to let them watch it just yet. I think films are more likely to overdramatise and also oversimplify. There's a lot to say for a good book.

Next

Return to Book Club