hf1

My combination isn't working anymore

My avatar
chauncycay
Clothie
Clothie

Re: My combination isn't working anymore

Postby chauncycay » Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:41 pm

I know this thread is super old, but I'm new and trying to figure out a similar situation. :)
My DD is almost 12 months (next Monday!), just figured out how to walk and is doing crazy bedtime antics and is a very heavy wetter.

We've got the Bum Genius 4.0 pocket diapers with a 3 layer microfiber insert inside bamboo. Plus another 2 layer MF with Bamboo on the outside from a Kawaii Baby flannel pocket diaper (was too hot for her, but I'll try again).

I put both of the inserts into the pocket of the BG diaper.
She normally is ok, but about once a week wets through down one leg and wakes up super upset :(
We're going through a lot with sleep right now (moving to one nap, tons of over tired, teething, walking, lots of night wakings and early wakings).

I'm about to lose my mind if the diaper adds to the mix! :P
We're desperate to make her comfortable.

I'm super sleep deprived so i'm having a really hard time decrypting the acronyms here. I think most of them are product names?
I'm not sure.
Can someone help a super sleepy mom with a very active (even in sleep) 1 year old heavy wetter?
I can't do disposable - the chemicals freak me out... love the cloth nappies!

Insert details:
(HappyEndingsTM 5 Layer Charcoal Bamboo Inserts for Cloth Diapers)
Kawaii Baby - The Inserts are made of 4 layers in total: 2 outer layers 100% bamboo charcoal and 2 middle layers 100% microfiber

My avatar
Dancing mum
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby Dancing mum » Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:49 pm

Hi
I'm not sure what the acronyms are either but what I found has made the world of difference for nighttime is using separate nappy and wrap. I use various different bamboo night nappies with either a PLU wrap or, even better (but I know it's initially a leap of faith) woolen longies or shorties. If you're finding baby is really soaked I'd definitely say trying wool is worth a go, it really is magic!
I have bamboo Weenotions night notions and bamboo Holdens Landing night nappies, all of which I bought preloved in classified section. Also use Hemp Baby Beehind nappy too.
I then boost all these with large hemp boosters OUTSIDE the nappy between nappy and wrap / woolies. The best ones I have are Swaddlebees. I use homemade fleece liner inside nappy to keep skin extra dry.
I've got behind on washing last week so tonight she's in a Little Lamb bamboo terry (croissant fold) with additional thick bamboo booster inside the folds and a large booster outside nappy. Hoping it holds out for us tonight :fingerscrossed: I still find this more reliable than heavily stuffed pocket at nighttime.
My LO is a heavy wetter too and found I get compression leaks with microfibre so maybe this is happening for you too?
I have heard charcoal boosters are also really good but haven't tried them myself.
Good luck, I hope you find a combo that works :thumbsup:

My avatar
sim
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby sim » Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:45 pm

I never got on with pockets at night TBH.

I'd check there is no leg gape with all that stuffing to eliminate the possibility she's weeing out the leg hole.
I'd also swap the microfibre for hemp. MF has a tendency to leak when compressed (like when lo lies on it at night) while hemp holds a lot more liquid and contains it better too. Pop it under the bamboo (further from LO's bottom) as it absorbs slowly, so the bamboo absorbs the wee quickly and the hemp contains it for a longer time. Easy Peasy (EP) hemp boosters are excellent.

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:56 am

Another vote for not using pockets at night! I really think you'd find a 2 parter system (and as Dancingmum said wool is amazing). Have a look through classifieds and you'll no doubt be able to pick up something at a good price to try so you can see the difference! Good luck and if you need any more info just come and ask. And welcome to the forum too :D :wave:

My avatar
chauncycay
Clothie
Clothie

Postby chauncycay » Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:32 pm

Oh bless you mamas!
This is some advanced business (like everything with these adorable creatures it seems...)

ok So I'm in the States and I can't get any of these brands apparently on the UK sites or Amazon or anywhere.
I'll check the classifieds - these American babies need the good stuff too! :)

I totally agree that Lady Wigglesworth as we call her is crawling and doing crazy crib antics at her sleep transitions (just learned to walk...) and compressing the pee out of the MF. Ack!

No more MF (solo, only supplement to catch first pee)
and no more pocket?

So I think the consensus is:
1 fitted (?) nappy? or what's the main containment suggestion - this is my confusion...
+
3 layer MF insert in bamboo that I have already
+
hemp booster(s)
+
wool cover

Is that right?
Wool is very intimidating! the whole lanolin thing. Is it hard to do? Only every 2 weeks or so?
Do you have two covers to rotate while the sweater dries :) ?

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:19 am

That sounds right, you'll have to just fiddle with your boosting until you get it right for your LO. There are lots of great American nappy makers, you wont' find good night nappies on places like Amazon, you are going to be better off with a wahm made one. The postage from the UK to US would not be worth it when you'd be able to source what you need there. I'll have a think about who to look for. They are also not particularly hard to make if you or someone you know can :sewing: A lot of the nappies in my current stash are Dunk n Fluff which are American fitteds but I'm not sure if she makes night nappies or not.

My avatar
chauncycay
Clothie
Clothie

Postby chauncycay » Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:40 pm

makes sense, so a fitted night nappy and a wool cover are my items to research.
Dunk n Fluff. Gotta love these names! :)

So she shut down her business and is only doing patterns now.
I'm not a sewer :) Would love to leran but now is not the time I'm afraid.

Handmade = Etsy over here - brilliant - *tons* of them on there - woo hoo!

My avatar
chauncycay
Clothie
Clothie

Postby chauncycay » Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:40 pm

I found a lady that makes these near me. Yea, Texan mamas cloth diapering :-)
I'll post a review once I get them.
I got the diaper here and one of her wool soakers: Etsy listing at https://www.etsy.com/listing/251277785/ ... loth-nappy

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:54 pm

chauncycay wrote:I found a lady that makes these near me. Yea, Texan mamas cloth diapering :-)
I'll post a review once I get them.
I got the diaper here and one of her wool soakers: Etsy listing at https://www.etsy.com/listing/251277785/ ... loth-nappy

So glad you found something! Look forward to your review @chauncycay :D

PreviousNext

Return to Night Nappies