hf1

Cloth rash but no rash in disposables

My avatar
Nadine
Clothie
Clothie

Cloth rash but no rash in disposables

Postby Nadine » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:16 am

We have had cloth nappies for 5 months and love them. However we seem to have a problem with lo getting a rash. She has been in disposables all week because we have been away on holiday. The rash cleared up but since been back and in her cloth nappies for 2 days the rash is back :-(. previous to this I have changed the detergent from ariel powder to ecover liquid and I stripped the nappies doing a 60 wash with nothing then some bleach (bum genius recommended) when I wash my nappies I do a rinse, wash at 60 with ecover, then rinse. Any suggestions?

My avatar
jclmellor
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Re: Cloth rash but no rash in disposables

Postby jclmellor » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:34 am

hi, what kind of rash is it? is it defo a rash or more of an allergic reaction e.g. when the skin is raised? we are getting an allergic reaction sometimes, and other times DD's skin is red on the thighs from chaffing as she is learning to crawl. we are in the process of stripping the nappies and trying different ones.

My avatar
lazylexis
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby lazylexis » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:49 am

I dob't think ecover liquid particularly and liquid detergents get nappies particularly clean.Are rinsing enough? We rinse twice after a wash. How much detergent are u using? Are they new or preloved? how did u do a strip wash? we use bio detergent full dose then rinse loads of times until there are no bubbles left. Are u just using bumgenius? Some babies react to suedecloth so may be worth trying some fleece liners too or a fitted nappy and wrap instead? How often are u changing little one?

My avatar
ladybird
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby ladybird » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:58 am

As above. I would ditch the liquid detergent - it clogs up the fabric and machine more than powder.
Do you do a monthly maintenance wash on your machine - 90c, with bio powder and nothing in the machine?
We had to switch entirely to natural fibre nappies with wool covers, we were using entirely bamboo and wool to get rid of a rash.

My avatar
shyler76
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby shyler76 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:45 am

Someone on here did a great post on different methods of stripping (sorry, can't find the link now :oops: ). I tried the dishwasher tablet and with regular maintenance of the washing machine I found all my issues with cloth (smells and rashes) disappeared.

Hope you manage to find a solution, I loved using cloth on my daughter (now potty trained) :babyroll:

My avatar
yummymummysaraya
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby yummymummysaraya » Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:46 am

hi nadine. :). it sounds like an allergic reaction to me too. does she have problems in any other types of nappies? hope you had a good holiday :) xx

My avatar
Nadine
Clothie
Clothie

Postby Nadine » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:19 am

Thanks for the replies. Her skin gets dry and red she has eczema so has quiet sensitive skin, i think more like a reaction than a nappy rash. Have had hydrocortisone from doctors which works but as soon as stop using it, the rash is back so it does not solve the problem. I use bum genius and Wee Notions OS pockets and NN. I use fleece liners, I use wipes (that I got free with bum genius nappies) or cotton wool and water.
I wash my nappies by rinsing, Wash on 60 with 1/2 recommended amount of ecover then rinse again. I have only stripped them once and this was after using ariel powder they got a awful smell. To strip I washed on 60 with no detergent, then washed using 1/4 cup of bleach, then washed with detergent then 2 rinses.

My avatar
Nadine
Clothie
Clothie

Postby Nadine » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:23 am

Oh and all the nappies are new and I change her about every 2 hours and have lots of no nappy time but with a disposible last week we got no rash at all.

My avatar
yummymummysaraya
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby yummymummysaraya » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:24 am

have you tried not using the fleece liners? its possible shes allergic to those if you use them in every nappy? adam cant have microfleece touching hisparts or her gets a rash, so i have minkee liners now, i did have fleece before. xx

Next

Return to Nappy Rash