hf1

Guinea pigs.

My avatar
evansmummy
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Guinea pigs.

Postby evansmummy » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:24 pm

Can they get colds? Ours has sneezed a couple times and has a slight gunky eye :/

My avatar
lazylexis
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Re: Guinea pigs.

Postby lazylexis » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:22 pm

I think they can but it can also be a symptom of chest/upper respiratory infection so may be worth a vet trip. Are u keeping them on sawdust/wood shavings? as switching to a paper based bedding may help as dust commonly irritates the airways.

My avatar
LynniferT
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby LynniferT » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:19 pm

We have a piggie with the same symptoms...he's going to the vets this week just to check him over!

My avatar
Chooky
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Chooky » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:24 pm

From Guinea Lynx website
http://www.guinealynx.info/emergency.html#uri

URI
Labored breathing, crackling sound from the lungs, eyes that are almost sealed shut, discharge from the eyes and/or the nose, sneezing, coughing, and wheezing can all be symptomatic of an upper respiratory infection (URI). A vet will prescribe a safe antibiotic to treat these bacterial infections (guinea pigs do not get cold viruses). See a vet immediately if you see any of these signs. Untreated URIs are almost always fatal. Occasionally allergies can produce the same signs - but because URIs are so deadly and fast moving, it is imperative that the vet rules out a URI before considering the possibility of an allergy.

Return to Pets